Honeywell thermostats have a worldwide reputation for both reliability and ease of use; and Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is not an exception. This programmable wi-fi thermostat is a great tool for easily controlling home heating and cooling. Thermostat giant Honeywell created this particular Wi-Fi enabled product in direct response to the revolutionary Nest Learning Thermostat.
So, what makes Honeywell’s Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat unique and better(or worse) than Nest?
In short, the Honeywell provides much more predictable design and style features, a significantly busier home display, and, in some cases, a bit more complicated set-up process. There are several additional minor deviations between models, but the design, style and set up will be the primary deal breakers. In which the Nest product packaging is quite like that of an Apple company product, (which has very good details; that I mentioned in my Nest review) the Honeywell is relatively no-frills. I would suggest the Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat to anybody who values traditional design and doesn’t require hand-holding through the installation.
This Honeywell is really a a bit sleeker version of the older thermostat you most likely have at your home currently. On the home screen, the thermostat displays the date, time, the indoor / outdoor humidity and temperature, and up and down arrows so that you can adjust the temperature manually. If your current thermostat is bigger than this model and since it doesn’t come with different size base plates, you may end up with clearly visible paint job on all sides after the installation.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is currently #2 at Amazon Best Programmable Thermostat ranking (right after the famous Nest). I think we can consider that this is one of the best programmable thermostats in the market.
Let’s look into the overall features of Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat:
- Smart features, easy-to-read customizable touchscreen
- Wi-Fi remote access – control from anywhere with iOS and Android devices
- Simple setup with smart programmable features for home or business
- Smart Response temperature timing
- Advanced fan/comfort control and indoor humidity sensor
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat Installation and Setup
This “do-it-yourself” installation isn’t for inexperienced persons. There are numerous kinds of cooling and heating products and some of those will not be compatible with this particular thermostat. You will need a C wire to power this thermostat. There are a number of various workarounds on the market if you don’t have a C wire, however they are not guaranteed to work on each and every system.
This particular thermostat is compatible with heating, cooling and heat pumps. However it does not work with heat pumps with electric baseboard heat (120-240 volts).
In order to power your Honeywell Wi-Fi smart thermostat (RTH9580WF), your system must contain a c-wire. Use the steps below to confirm that your system meets the compatibility requirements. This chart will determine compatibility with most systems, but as wiring systems vary from home to home, there may be some exceptions (and these are the steps that Honeywell officially published):
- Does your current thermostat have 110V or higher written on it? If yes this system is compatible — continue to next question.
- Do you have thick wires that are connected using wire nuts? If yes — your system is not compatible. If no — continue to the next question.
- Do you have a wire connected to terminal labeled “C”? If yes — your system is compatible. If no move the next question.
- Do you have an extra wire that is not connected to any terminal on the thermostat wall plate? Or — if no — do you have a wire connected to terminal labeled “G”? If yes to either of these questions, this thermostat may be compatible with your system.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat comes with many features. All these small and well thought features shows us that this is a well designed programmable thermostat. Here is a brief list of the features:
- Completely flexible programming options – you can program the thermostat according to your house or business routine
- On-screen Comfort Information: See indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity information right on the home screen.
- View local weather and 5-day forecast
- Auto change from heat to cool – conveniently decides if your home or office requires heating or cooling to provide highest comfort.
- Intelligent alerts – receive reminders to change a filter
- Built-in humidity readout – view indoor and outdoor humidity.
- hi/lo temperature notification – be alerted of extreme home temps
- Permanent/temporary/vacation hold.
- Loss of internet connection/internet connection restored notifications
- Can be controlled via iPhone, iPad, Android and computer (no monthly service fee)
- Display options – Screen saver on/off, and customizable touchscreen
- Fan operation – On/auto/circulate settings – circulate keeps air moving throughout your home.
- English/Spanish/French language
- F(Fahrenheit) or C(Celsius) temperature display
Intelligent Reaction Technology for Constant Comfort
This programmable thermostat learns your cooling and heating routine to provide the ideal temperature, when you need it. The Honeywell Wi-Fi smart thermostat calculates the amount of time required to reach the programmed temperature and functions accordingly, so power is not wasted as well as your comfort is not affected.
In case you won’t specify a routine for your thermostat, the Honeywell will “learn” your routines and will start to automatically regulate your cooling and heating according to your usage behavior. Obviously, you can still override this by manually changing the temperature.
Honeywell claims this particular thermostat will be able to sustain 1 degree of precision on any kind of temperature setting. Which is very good, however your heating or ac will kick on more often because of this.
Reliable Wi Fi Operation and Control
Honeywell’s reliable application enables you to program your thermostat by your personal computer, tablet computer, and smartphone, regardless you are across the room or across the globe. This enables you to remotely keep an eye on and control your home’s or office’s comfort and power usage anytime, anywhere
This app is available for iOS and Android devices.
Excessive temperature notifications and filter change reminders can be delivered to connected devices and displayed on the thermostat.
Customizable Color Touchscreen
Very easily customizable the display to any color selection you select to match your mood, suit your paint, or even support your favorite football team.
Enhanced securing options and security password possibilities provide great protection and convenience. Password protection enables only specified people to reach the security configurations and locking options. The 30-second lockout provides you with the chance to clean the thermostat, so you do not need to live with fingerprints on your device.
The thermostat also allows you to set a four-digit code to keep anyone from making unauthorized changes on the settings.
Indoor Humidity Sensor
Indoor humidity displayed on the thermostat screen
The only functionality problem I observed was that the outdoor temperature and humidity reading is infrequent at best.
Coming soon… Pls come back to read all the reviews from internet…
The Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat functions so much like a regular digital thermostat that you shouldn’t experience too much of a learning curve when you want to use it on your wall.
This thermostat exceeded my personal expectations. The temperature modified conveniently according to my personal cooling and heating routine and the programming functionality performed with no problems. The touchscreen display and application both are very responsive and in case your Wi-Fi goes out, your thermostat will continue to perform just like a typical digital thermostat.
It’s likely that this thermostat is much more user-friendly and efficient compared to one you have now and, therefore, you’ll save money over time.
If you’re confident with electrical wiring and installation, the purchasing decision will come down to aesthetics and looks, since both Nest and Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostats have almost the same functionality with different design.
It’s likely that this thermostat is much more user-friendly and efficient compared to the one you have now and, therefore, you’ll save money over time.
If you want to buy this programmable thermostat, click here or the image below… If not, there are other options to consider – click here to see the full list for the Best Programmable Thermostats.