I will continue the programmable thermostat reviews with a cheaper, but still powerful model today, “Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat“. This thermostat has all required functions as a programmable thermostat :
- user friendly display (easy to to program)
- different settings for weekdays – saturday and sunday
- 4 program periods per day
- ENERGY STAR rated
- back-lit display (so, you can use it even at night – when no lights are on)
- shows room and set temperature on the screen
- Smart Response Technology (detailed explanation below)
- Easy access battery compartment (you don’t need to remove the cover or remove the thermostat from the wall to change the batteries)
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a thermostat and only want to have a programmable one, Honeywell RTH6450D1009 is for you. Or maybe you want to have a fancier model for your living room (either Nest Learning Thermostat, or Venstar T5800), and have this one for the basement (if you have multi-zone heating / cooling). It is easy to install, easy to program, and does the work properly. Here is more detailed review.
Honeywell RTH6450D1009 Installation and Setup
You can install this unit in 15 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver and a mini-Flathead screwdriver; it takes 30 minutes at most if you give a break during the process It is so unbelievably simple – especially if you have 2 wired system. Once you opened the existing thermostat, label the wires based on where they are hooked to the current thermostat and reconnect them to the new unit. Very simple, very easy to accomplish. I believe; if you can physically turn a screwdriver, you can install this unit.