In the present more and more people are searching for the best programmable thermostat that can deliver high performance – which means enhancing the comfort level at home or office, and also providing the most savings on the monthly energy bills. With the proper information you will understand why Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation is considered to be one of the best programmable thermostats currently available on the market, known for its wide set of applications and solid technological structure.
Most of the current Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation programmable thermostat reviews, drafted with attention to details by users and specialists, underline the product’s modern design and precise functionality. The thermostat learns what temperatures you like, turns itself down when you’re away and can be controlled from anywhere over Wi-Fi. It has a digital screen, however not similar to other programmable thermostats. Here are couple images for your reference :
One of the best features of Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation is its design, you can use it like your old fashioned mechanical thermostat. There are no complicated programming processes, not many buttons… The usage is super easy; just turn the ring on the device and you will see the desired temperature on the screen. And also you see the ‘time required’ on the screen for your desired temperature.
Programmable thermostats are supposed to help, but they can be hard to program. The researches show that many people never program the “programmable thermostats” (what a fact) !… There is no such case with this thermostat – the Nest thermostat programs itself with “Learning” feature. After you install it to your home or office, first couple of weeks it ‘learns’ your schedule (btw; it never stops learning) – with the help of the sensors on the front bottom side of the device -; when do you wake up in the morning (it even learns the different habits for week days and for the weekends), when do you leave from home, when do you come back, when do you sleep etc. After this learning period, it starts adjusting the temperature automatically according to your preferences.
There are 5 different sensors on the thermostat; Temperature – Humidity – Far-field activity – Near-field activity and Ambient light. And you can use the systems in 3 different languages; English – Spanish and French.
You can adjust the Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation anywhere with an internet connected device. Let’s say, you’re gone for a weekend trip and forgot to adjust the thermostat before leaving the house. You can connect it from your mobile phone, and make necessary adjustments. This feature helps a lot with the monthly bills 🙂
This thermostat has a very sleek design and interface, so working with it is so easy; easy installation – not complicated setup – easy management from any internet connected device (iPhone, iPad, Android phones and tablets etc.).
The Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation also sends you an energy summary every month with tips to help you save more. The report has these main areas :
- how much energy you used,
- how many Leafs earned(you earn leafs when you choose an energy efficient temperature)
- how often you were Away
- why did you use more energy, or why was this month’s energy use so different than the last
- how you compared to others—if you were doing better or worse than your neighbors
- how many hours of heating and cooling you used this month vs last month
- and even there is a feature to share your report on social networks (facebook, twitter etc.)
The current version is released Q3 2012 and named the “2nd generation”. The software on Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation gets updates time to time. The latest software version is 4.0 (released November 22nd, 2013). The device automatically updates its software over Wi-Fi whenever an update is released – so you don’t need to worry to deal with any technical details.
The thermostat has built in battery, unlike many of its competitors. You don’t need to install any batteries, the device charges the built in battery and uses it when you lose the power at home. For me, this is a good feature – you don’t need to worry about the batteries.
While the Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation works with most heating and cooling systems, it won’t work with everything out there. For example, millivolt systems don’t provide enough power to keep the thermostat battery charged, and proprietary systems require specific communication – essentially a different language – and won’t understand what Nest is saying. The Nest Thermostat does support standard 24V systems with up to three stages of heating and two stages of cooling. The 2nd generation Nest Learning Thermostat can control the following types of HVAC systems:
- Heating: one, two and three stages (W1, W2, W3)
- Cooling: one and two stages (Y1, Y2)
- Heat pump: with auxiliary and emergency heat (O/B, AUX, E)
- Fan (G)
- Power (C, Rh, Rc)
- Humidifier or dehumidifier (HUM, DEHUM)
- The Nest Thermostat’s connector can accept only one of these wires: W3, E, HUM or DEHUM.
The Nest Learning Thermostat is designed to work even if your home doesn’t have a common “C” wire, but installing a new C wire may be required in rare cases (you may need to check with the company for the final answer).
Like all other devices (no matter electronic or mechanical), the Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation is also have some issues (for some customers) :
- Some customers complains about the Wi-Fi connectivity, especially to the new Apple Time Capsule (Tower). They say, the device loses the connectivity frequently (I haven’t had this issue myself).
- Some customers also complain about the software problems (I haven’t had any issue with the software as well).
This thermostat is in the market quite some time and there are many customer reviews on internet. I will list the most useful couple of user reviews in a different page, that you can access through this Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation reviews link.
Nest on the Press:
Inside the Nest Learning Thermostat – The New York Times (October 3rd, 2012)
Mercedes-Benz announces in-car integration with Nest thermostat – The Verge (January 7th, 2014)
The Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation comes with $250 price tag – which is definitely a hard sell. On the other hand; everything related with this product screams classy and thoughtful (like iPhone at the beginning – 6 years back). I will give 2 simple examples for the detailed thinking of this thermostat :
- The product comes with a screwdriver in the box. At the end of the day, a screwdriver costs couple of dollars and everyone has one at home. But, when you start installing the thermostat, you won’t need to get up – find your screwdriver etc. It is already in the box… Good thinking
- The product also comes with a white plate, that you can install under the thermostat. If you had a bigger thermostat before, after the installation of this thermostat, you may have some issues with the wall (old color – or even damaged wall). If this is the case, you can simply use the plate which comes with Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation and cover that area. Another very good, detailed thinking.
Even though this unit is a little pricey compared to other programmable thermostats (there are programmable thermostats in the market with $30 – $40 prices), if you love the look and feel of high-end design, you won’t regret the investment. The researches on programmable thermostats show that, you will get your investment back in 2-3 years in general (of course there are many factors that can affect this time; where do you live, what kind of heating / cooling needs you have, what is your usual daily routine etc.). If you ask my advice; I would suggest you to go ahead and buy Nest Learning Thermostat – 2nd Generation if spending $250 won’t effect you budged. Currently, this thermostat holds the 1st place on Amazon Best Selling Programmable Thermostats list.